If you’re thinking about what you want to achieve in 2018, why not put keeping your smile in pristine condition at the top of your list of resolutions? There’s nothing more attractive than a bright, healthy looking smile, and thankfully, this is resolution that is pretty easy to stick to. Here are 5 tips you’ll need to take care of your teeth in the New Year:
- Brush twice a day, every single day: can you find 2 minutes every morning and evening? If so, use your time wisely and brush your teeth. Good oral hygiene will help you to reduce the risk of decay, gum disease and several other health problems.
- Check in with your dentist: if it’s been a long time since your last dental visit, now is the time to start looking after your oral health and ensuring you have a check-up every 6-9 months.
- Be mouth aware: with dental issues, the longer you leave them, the worse they get, so being mouth aware can be incredibly beneficial. Look out for signs such as pain, swelling, sore gums, bleeding when you brush and sensitivity and see your dentist as soon as possible if you do have problems.
- Floss: brushing does a great job of cleaning your mouth, but you can’t brush properly between the teeth. This is where flossing comes in handy. Floss daily to prevent plaque and keep your smile sparkling.
- Watch what you eat (and drink): many of us make a vow to eat well in the New Year, but losing festive weight is not the only reason to improve your diet. Diet has a major impact on oral health, so try and avoid snacking, don’t exceed the recommended daily sugar intake and ensure your diet is packed with vitamins, minerals and nutrients.